Wednesday, November 07, 2007

SMS Language

I've ranted about this before..And by gawd..I'm gonna do it again.

Ever sms your friends with a message along the lines of:

"Heya. How ya been doing ? Since it's the holidays and all, I was wondering if you might be free to go out and have lunch and watch a movie?"

Note the words used. Although the words are simple, at least they convey the message that the person smsing is at least human.

Now..have you ever seen this kind of reply?
"Hi sryy cnt go bb"

Do you see ?!?!?...Why can't you people put some effort into messaging ? I know it's called Short Message Service..But come On! You're wasting a lot of space. Furthermore, (to me anyways) whenever people give short replies, it seems like you don't care about the sender. The least you could do is reply back "Hello. I'm so sorry but I can't go. See you later."

Punctuation..ah..yes..that's what these kind of people seldom use too..Proper punctuation is important. When my friends sms me, I usually make some effort to reply them back as I usually would even if I'm busy defusing a bomb in CS. I've tried to sms it the "short" way..and my friend asked me if I was drunk.

One of the problems I face though..is that when someone smses me using the "short" way..I dunno how to reply them. At first, I reply to them in my oft-used way...but they reply back in their bloody annoying "short" way....My long words of communication are reduced back to a 5 word reply..And I get very frustrated..till now..I still have no idea what to do when a "short" sms comes my way.

Another kind of language I've encountered is the Short (But not necessarily) and Sweet language. Usually seen on IMing clients. For Example, as soon as someone opens up a chat window with you, they go:
"hi hw r u"

Normal people would reply:
"Hello. I'm fine. How are you doing ?"

But noooooooooooooooooooooo....people nowadays answer like so:
"Fine lor..hahax~~..how you ah?"

..What's with the x ? What's with the tildes ?? What's with me !?!

Why can't you people just type the word out fully..Is that so hard ? But usually..I put some nice background images in the window when I'm chatting to people like this..makes my mood better XD

I'm out of rants for now..about this topic anyways..Really grasping at straws here...so Cyas.

Next time : Emoticons ..=P

(This entire post was fueled by studies induced stress. As a matter of fact, I fully condone the use of short form words. I love them. They strain my eyes less. I even have fun piecing in the missing letters and making different words. So there..Don't kill me if you are offended by my post, Assuming you read it =D )

1 Comments:

At 3:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

no people should reply
"hey i can go BUT who's going ? "
next sms:
"hey kent who's going ? i can go "
Next sms :
"yea i can go. so how are you ? By the way Who's going ?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home